Monday, November 28, 2011

13.2 Logorrhea

When and Where Did I Find It:  This word was used in the nursing home my mom is in.  They were describing my mother (not in bad way) because my mother would not stop talking about something.  I was impressed with the CNA who knew this word and I had her write it down for me.  She said her mother would use this word in sentences about her when she was a child.

What it means: According to dictionary.com it means incessant talking or rambling.  Sometime incoherant as well.   

Level of Familiarity:  I have never heard this word before, and after seeing the definition I think the CNA used it as an adjective as well.  But isn't it true that we change meanings depending on our culture and how we've heard the word before?  

Do I Want to Know This Word Well and Why?  This is a great word to describe my mother, the nature of her disease and life, she does ramble and I usually have no clue what she is talking about.  Ask Meghan--she's heard many convos with my mother which seem like we've gone in a circle just to end up with no solution or real meaning.  Instead of calling my mom a chatty Cathy, I might use this instead.  


Do I Think Others Should Know This Word Well...if so WHO and WHY?   I think it is a fun word to hear.  I was drawn to it the first time I heard it, but it is not a word that everyone needs to know for everyday life.  

No comments:

Post a Comment