Sunday, November 20, 2011

12.2 Writing to Learn

When and Where Did I Find It:  I found this in our class readings in Knipper, K.J., & Duggan, T.J. (2006). Writing to learn across the curriculum: Tools for comprehension in content area classes.The Reading Teacher (59)5, 462-470.


What it means: Writing to learn is different from learning to write.  Writing to learn is not a step by step process, but a "catalyst for further learning" (p.462).  Writing to learn is "an opportunity for students to recall, clarify, and question what they know about a subject and what they still wonder about..." (p.462).  


Level of Familiarity:  I have read about writing to learn from our other course readings, but this article really explain the importance of writing to learn.  I know now more about assessment and how to work it into my content area.  I also think I want to look at this for one of my questions with the multigenre project.  

Do I Want to Know This Word Well and Why?  As a social studies, I know the importance of writing and learning how to write.  Writing to learn allows for me to get my students writings.  I want to know for my one-day classroom more ways to use writing to learn----I am looking forward to our discussion on Monday.


Do I Think Others Should Know This Word Well...if so WHO and WHY?   I think that all teachers should know more about writing.  I think that many teachers, especially secondary shy aware from writing and hope that students gain an understanding in their ELA classes....but it is everyone's duty to teach writing...yes even math & science.  Every teacher should have an understanding in how to use writing to learn in their classroom.

No comments:

Post a Comment