When and Where Did I Find It: I found studying my class readings as assigned by Jess and Danielle in Davis, S. J. (1990). Applying content study skills in co-listed reading classrooms. Journal of Adolescent & Adult Literacy, 33(4), 277-281.
What it means: According to the Davis Article using Anderson and Armbruster's(1984) definition studying is "...a special form of reading that is done in order to perform an identifiable cognitive task (278-9).
Level of Familiarity: Being a graduate student I have spent the better 3/4s of my life studying. From middle school to the present day, I feel like I am always studying for a test, for research, or just learning new material. Studying is a word that I feel like I knew...but I don't think I've ever thought about the process that is studying...and I am not sure if I knew before this article how important it is to explicitly teach studying. I have never been one that likes to studies and especially in high school I didn't study. It wasn't until college did I fully develop the skills and strategies I needed in order to be successful at studying.
Do I Want to Know This Word Well and Why? Yes, as a literacy specialist it might be my job one day to intervene with students and help them learn to study. I need to know the strategies and how to teach the strategy of studying to my students. From this article, I have now a better understanding in what that might be like.
Do I Think Others Should Know This Word Well...if so WHO and WHY? I think that every student, educator, and person should know how to study correctly. I feel like I was never taught how to study---it was a crap shot in how a studied in high school. It wasn't until I saw a professor at MCC model good studying strategies that it finally clicked in my head how to study. I don't think it should take someone till college to know how to study so yes I think it is very important for others to know what studying is and what good studying strategies look like.
No comments:
Post a Comment