When and Where Did I Find It: I found this reading the new HGTV magazine. One of my guilty pleasures in life is watching the HGTV network and their design shows and house hunting shows as well. They just released their new magazine and it has become impossible to for me to put down....it's down now because I am typing.
What it means: Bungalow is a type of house. It is actually my favorite style of house. A craftsman bungalow usually has a dominating front porch, a low-pitched roof, exposed beams, and details that most houses of today just do not have.
Level of Familiarity: I have watched a lot of HGTV in my day and I also really enjoy looking at real estate and housing plans. I have know what a bungalow style house is for awhile. I think it is also a fun word to say, it rolls off the tongue :)
Do I Want to Know This Word Well and Why? Yes, if I was to buy this type of house and it needed work, I would want to be familiar with the features within it. Outside of it, I can impress my friends when we go walking somewhere I spot this style of house. I learn bits and pieces from watching TV and HGTV magazine, but I am not going out of my way to find out new information.
Do I Think Others Should Know This Word Well...if so WHO and WHY?: If you are buying a bungalow, all I ask that is you keep with the style. You can make a bungalow modern, but please please do not get rid of moldings or the cooper or wrought-iron it might have. So if you are buying a bungalow style house---read up on the style, if not, forget about it.


I love the photos of this bungalow you included in the blog. Bungalows are one of my favorite types of homes. Just the word conjures up cozy images of a home. I couldn't agree with you more, Carrie- modernize but keep the architectural design features!
ReplyDeleteI agree with Janet. The pictures you included are very helpful in showcasing some of the key features of a bungalow.
ReplyDeleteWhat reference could you provide your reader(s) in order to learn more about what a bungalow is?