When and Where Did I Find It: I found this in our course readings in Ikpeze, C. & Boyd, F. (2007). Web-based inquiry learning: Facilitating thoughtful literacy with WebQuests. The Reading Teacher, 60(7), 644-654.
What It Means: According to the reading "WebQuests can be used not only for content learning, but also to conduct research in an authentic, problem-solving environment..." (p. 645).
WebQuests are used in digital classrooms to help order higher thinking. They are used either in the short term or long term. WebQuests are designed to offer "multiple knowledge representations and multiple perspectives..." (p.645).
I have seen WebQuests, and they are usually a step-by-step process using the internet and a variety of internet resources.
Level of Familiarity: I have used WebQuests in my classroom and I have seen them used a lot in observations and subbing.
Do I Want to Know This Word Well and Why? Talking to my peers, it seems a lot of us have had a bad experience with WebQuests. I have been assigned during subbing to do a webquest and they seem like busy work. They were designed to give the students something to do and stay out of my hair and limit my actual time in front of a classroom. That is not what WebQuests are suppose to be or do.
I have used WebQuests before, and after reading this article I know how to use them more properly and I hope to find out more in the future.
Do I Think Others Should Know This Word Well...if so WHO I think that all teachers should have a better understanding of using a WebQuest. As I said, I am not a fan of the busy work WebQuest and that seems like a lot of teachers use them for that reason. Purpose is forgotten a lot when a WebQuest is given and hopefully teachers will know this word better and use WebQuest better in return.
No comments:
Post a Comment