Sunday, October 2, 2011

5.2 Metadiscourse

Where and when did I find it. I found this in Dreher, M.J. & Singer H. (1989). Friendly texts and text-friendly teachers. Theory Into Practice, 28(2), 98-105. 

What it means. Metadiscourse is one of the friendly text features.  It means " when a writer talks directly to the reader to inform them..." (p.101).  To put this into my own words it is the instruction guide that authors give readers----they are showing the reading how to read their text.  

Level of familiarity. I knew from previous classes that authors leave cues within their text to help guide the reader---I didn't remember or know it was called metadiscourse.  I would have never used this word before this reading.  I am familiar with being metacognitive and it seems that metadiscourse is a key part of being metacognitive.  

Do I want to know this word well and why? Going along with the narrative and informational text and what I said---again as a content teacher I have to arm my students with all the right tools.  I am not sure that all students know how to have this conversation with the author.  It is something I want to know more about as an educator and a reader. 

Do I think others should know this word well and why?  Yes.  Again arming our students with the tools for success.  I love the term friendly text and I guess if we aren't teaching our students how to engage with an author---comprehension won't happen.  
I am slowly learning----we have to make sure our students are cognitivly aware and this is just one piece of puzzle.

1 comment:

  1. Well done Carrie. What a great word you have chosen! I also appreciate your explanation regarding your familiarity with the word as well as your thoughts about how important it is that you (and others) know it well.

    Also, the presentation and format (size and color of font) is MUCH IMPROVED. It is very easy to read now.

    The only additional piece of information I would hope you would share with your readers in this entry is to include the ACTUAL SENTENCE where you first saw the word in the Dreher and Singer(1989) article. This helps to give your readers a fuller context of how the word was used and how this relates to the definition (what it means) that you provide.

    Again, well done!

    ReplyDelete