Monday, October 24, 2011

8.2 Write-Around

When and Where Did I Find It: I found this in our course readings in Daniels, H., Zemelman, S. & Steineke, N. (2007).  Content-area writing.  Portsmouth, NH: Heinemann. p. 74


"The write-around is one of the most powerful of all writing-to-learn activities..." (p.74)
What It Means: Write-Around is a strategy used in small group instruction.  During the drafting strategy, a person's work is passed among the group.  Everyone reads the paper or assignment  leaves remarks, comments, praise and suggestions.  The writer in return gets  a "...string of conversation" (p.74) for them to see and move on to the editing stage with.  

Level of Familiarity: I have seen it in practice (last week in class and in my teaching experiences)---just didn't know the formal name for it!  

 
Do I Want to Know This Word Well and Why?  I think this is an important strategy to have in the "tool box".  I worked well last week, and the comments lefts were valuable in moving to the next stage in the writing process.  I would like more practice with this and I would also like to do it in a smaller group when I get a chance to practice with write-arounds again.  


Do I Think Others Should Know This Word Well...if so WHO  I think that all literacy specialist should know this word and how to use it.  I think if a literacy specialist or content teacher uses this the groups should be set up by the teacher.  I am very private about my writing and I hate sharing it in the drafting stage---and a teacher should consider this when creating the small groups.   Writing is personal and when doing a write-around the teacher should take that into consideration when creating the groups.  

No comments:

Post a Comment