Sunday, September 25, 2011

3.2 Mapping


When and Where did I find the word:  I found this word in Billmeyer, R. & Barton, M.L. (1998).  Teaching reading in the content areas:  If not me, then who?   (2nd ed.).  Aurora, CO:  Mid-continent Regional Educational Laboratory.   pp. 70-89 during my session 3 readings.  

What it means:  Mapping comes from the boarder term concept definition mapping. It is a strategy used commonly in content instruction  Mapping is teaching student key ideas.  It embodies "essential attributes, qualities, or characteristics of a word's meaning" (Billmeyer & Barton, 1998, p.70).   This strategy allows for students to think deeper into a subject and this strategy encourages just that.  


Level of Familiarity:  Some, I have used it in my classrooms of the past, but this was a great refresher and also know more about how to use mapping in my classroom.   My knowledge of how to use mapping was limited before this reading



Do I Want to Know This Word Well and Why? Yes of course!  In social studies there is so much content and I love the idea of  an organize way of thinking about concepts!!!!!  I think a bank of strategies is the key for students to remember concepts.  Also many of our students are visual and this could help them sort through the big picture and come up with their own understanding.  

Do I Think Others Should Know This Word Well...If So, WHO and WHY?: For sure!  Mapping is an example of  differentiation.  It allows for students to figure out a broad concept and narrow it down.  They can branch out to fit their understanding and there really is no set way in creating a concept map.  Students can add pictures or phases that help them remember.  I look at concept mapping as an empowering tool and allowing students to control what is on the map.  It is also great for vocabulary knowledge as well and a great way for students to see how vocab fits into the bigger picture.  

No comments:

Post a Comment