Monday, September 19, 2011

3.1 Intentional

When and Where did I find the word: I found this word in Fisher, D. & Frey, N. (2008).  Word wise and content rich:  Five essential steps to teaching academic vocabulary.  Portsmouth, NH: Heinemann p.15



What it means: This word comes from the phase: Make It Intentional.  It relates to vocabulary instruction.  Intentional kept coming up in my reading and I believe that was what made it important.  Intentional relates to a lot of things of vocab instruction.  First it can mean picking vocab for students to know.  Teachers have to be intentional when selecting a word they want their students to know.  Teachers have to been very knowledgeable in what words they are picking.  It means asking a series of questions to make sure the words picked are appropriate.  



Level of Familiarity:  I am pretty familiar with this word, but I think it is something I need to keep reminding myself of.  It is a pretty popular word in the education field at the moment :)  By exploring the whole chapter on making it intentional, I now know the how to pick vocab for my students.   

Do I Want to Know This Word Well and Why?  I need to know this word and I need to make sure in my classroom I make it intentional.  Chapter 2 in Word Wise really explores the idea of what it means to be intentional in terms of vocabulary instruction.  I need to ask myself as a teacher questions if a vocab word is good for my students and that is me as the teacher being intentional.  Vocabulary instruction is not random,  but intentional!!!

Do I Think Others Should Know This Word Well...If So, WHO and WHY?:  I believe that all content teachers should be intentional in choosing their vocabulary.  Too many times do teacher take a word list and apply it to their classroom.  Do the words really fit into instruction?  Are students gaining an understanding of vocab?  When a teacher is blindly selecting vocabs, this is poor practice.  Making it intentional is actually taking the time to think about what we are teaching our students and that is very important.  

No comments:

Post a Comment